It's your decision.
If the body is buried...
1. It can be interred (earth burial).
2. It can be entombed in a crypt within a mausoleum (above-ground burial).
3. It can be buried at sea.
Why people choose burial
The majority of North Americans still choose to bury their dead and to be buried themselves. Here are some reasons you might choose burial:
• Burial is traditional within your family, religious group, or geographical area
For instance, in the United States today, about 79 percent choose burial.
• You do not like the idea of the body being "burned"
You prefer to have the body slowly return to the elements.
• You want to erect a monument on the grave
Perhaps you want to visit the grave in the days to come, and you find a cemetery more appealing than say, a columbarium (a place where cremated remains are stored).
Decisions You Must Make If You Choose Burial
• Whether or not the body is to be embalmed
• What type of casket to buy
• What type of burial vault (outer burial receptacle) to buy (if required)
• Location of cemetery plot
• How to mark the grave, and what to put on the grave marker or monument
• What kind of services to have